Can I use college courses for continuing education?

Can I use college courses for continuing education?

Applying certain college courses for continuing education can be possible. If applicable, some college courses are accepted towards meeting your renewal requirements. These possibilities include, but are not limited to, anatomy, biology, medical, terminology, pharmacology, etc.


Below you can find more helpful Information:    


1.     One hour of college credit is equal to eight hours of continuing education. So, as an example, a three-hour Anatomy course would be worth thirty hours of continuing education.    

2.     Not all course materials from a college course may be applied to your recertification    

3.     College courses will not cover all the needed topics and subtopics so other continuing education is needed to complete your recertification    

4.     College courses can only be used in the local and/or individual components    

5.     You will need to review your course materials, (syllabus, handouts, textbook) to see what is applicable to EMS, patient care related and within your scope of practice to be used towards your recertification.     


    • Related Articles

    • What other continuing education can I use for my recertification?

      It is great that you are showing interest in furthering your recertification. There are several other continuing education options that providers can use towards recertification hours that include but are not limited to the following: attending EMS ...
    • What continuing education is not accepted?

      Unfortunately, not all continuing education efforts are accepted.          Below you will find the sources of education that cannot be applied toward recertification, state licensed entry, or lapsed entry pathway requirements:     1.     Duplicate ...
    • How do I enter continuing education to my transcript?

      Here you will find useful information on how to add education to your transcript:    Once a course is added to your transcript, it can be used towards your recertification. Additionally, you can add courses that you do not intend to use as a means of ...
    • What is accepted education?

      There are several types of accepted education that include, but are not limited to, state-recognized continuing education for renewal of EMS license, CAPCE-accredited education, college courses, standardized courses, EMS initial education, and most ...
    • What is CAPCE education?

      That is a great question. One option you have for online education is CAPCE approved courses. You can find a variety of online education providers through the CAPCE website, linked here:      CAPCE is an organization that accredits ...